While an earthquake in Japan strikes many hearts, many website owners, webmasters also feel shaky as a result of Google’s latest algorithmic change – Google recently tightens its grips on low quality content and websites by applying its Google Panda Update.
The impact appears to be huge on a lot of sites - bad and good sites as well. There are cries from innocent sites who are penalized for not fulfilling Google’s newest algorithmic update. To see if there’s any traffic decline on your site or how to regain it again, TG recommend you to read ” Your site’s traffic has plummeted since Google’s Farmer/Panda Update. Now What?”
How would it impact on classified or directory sites in Hong Kong remain unknown. Most of these sites gain traffic by scrapping content – either legally or illegally. They produce little or shallow contents themselves, the breadth and depth of user-generated content usually is limited. These posts are short and may be used many times in different websites. Would they be hardest hit? How should we deal with the new changes?
Rand Fishkin at Seomoz.com shares his views on what makes a good web directory, Something we should read for reference. The leading search engine expects us to grow fields with tomato, green beans, melons and all kinds of fresh vegetables. They start weeding out rotten fruits.
Guess there’s no short-cut dealing with Google now, we should remind ourselves of good practice and take care of users’ interest. Not only web design should be user-centric, content should also deal with user interest:
1. Original content with organized structure. Check grammar mistakes before publishing and allow no direct copy from other sites
2. Optimize content with high bounce rate, or consider removing them from our site. Focus more on quality rather than quantity
3. Backlinks with relevant sites. Be prudent in selecting the sites with well-written and quality content
4. Build a directory and classified site along with blog or other form of well-written materials
5. User experience still takes a large part in maintaining our site ranking